Sunday, January 6, 2008

Speaking of Which...

Isla is talking now. Not talking in sentences, or even phrases, but she is saying words. And pretty clearly, too.

Thursday night, Mike fell asleep on the couch watching a movie. When I woke up at 3 a.m. to an empty bed, I shouted over the banister in the hall for him to come upstairs. I must have woken Isla, because then I heard her talking in her room.

When I opened the door to her room, she said, "oh, Mom!". I gave her her pacifier and told her it was time for sleep, to which she replied by signing 'sleep' and then standing up and signing 'up'.

I picked her up, and she signed 'book' and said "boo".

"No, sleep", I told her, sitting in the rocking chair and pushing her head against my shoulder.

"Shlee", she said in agreement.

Then Mike walked in the room, and she craned her neck around and said, "Da". He and I exchanged a few words, and then he left.

After he shut the door, Isla said, "Buh-bye Da".

So like I said, nothing amazing, but I am loving it nonetheless.