Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Noah's Ark and Jamberry

I am always looking for ways to make the bible more accessible to my children. I am also always looking for good Christian children's books. Unfortunately, I haven't had a ton of success in this area. However, I think Lucy Cousins hit a real home run with her retelling of Noah's Ark. We own the board book version, and all three of my children (ages 4, 2, and 6 months old) love it. The story is told very simply without using too many words to overwhelm the little ones, and the pictures are vibrant and very childlike. Despite that this book appears to be aimed at very little ones, Isla still loves it and reads it to herself and asks me to read it to her quite often. I would definitely recommend this one!

Another book I would highly recommend is Jamberry by Bruce Degen. I have probably read this book hundreds of time. There were a few months there where Joe would ask me to read it to him multiple times a day. I actually have the entire book memorized. "One berry, two berry, pick me a blueberry. Hatberry, shoeberry, in my canoeberry..." I could go on, but I may have violated a copyright already. Despite having read this book enough times to memorize it, I still have not tired of it. It reads like a well written poem, and it is fun to say. The meter is quite captivating, and the author maintains it well throughout the book. If it has a storyline, I would say it is about a little boy going on a berry adventure with a bear. But again, it is more of a poem than a story. The illustrations are endearing and remind me of Huck Finn / Tom Sawyer. This is another book that all three of my children enjoy, despite their age gap.
Link

No comments: