Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The untold side of breastfeeding

Caution: the following post is about the bowel habits of my children. You have been warned.

If you plan to breastfeed your children, you should breastfeed all of them. Because once you experience the ease that is formula, you're never going to want to go back.

Despite all the benefits of breastfeeding that the advocates tout, none of them discuss the poop explosions. This is definitely my biggest struggle with breastfeeding and would be reason enough for me to switch to formula. Unfortunately, Joseph is allergic to milk and soy. The only formula he can have is $30 for a can of powder that makes 19 bottles. At 5 bottles a day, that would only last four days.

The poop of breastfeed babies is mostly liquid, and they poop multiple times a day. At least once a day, poop oozes up and out the back of Joseph's diaper or leaks out a leg opening. Then I have to carefully extricate a wiggling Joe from his clothing trying my best to contain the mess which I later have to rinse out of his clothing before washing them in hot water, which, by the way, is destroying all his clothes.

Isla was a formula fed baby. She pooped once a day. Solid, compact poops that never got on her clothing. I am telling you, it would be reason enough for me to switch.

1 comment:

...And Liam Makes Three! said...

Liam had the same issues! I tried so many types of diapers and the only ones that kept everything where it belonged were Huggies Supreme. Every baby's different but it's worth a shot! And, hey, thanks to God for making us washable!!!