Sunday, February 25, 2007

No Complaining 'Til Easter

For Lent this year, I have given up complaining. This has proven more complicated than I originally thought. To begin with, I had to figure out what exactly constituted a complaint. Though I haven't come up with a definition I can put into words, I think I have come to an understanding with myself.

Someone once told me that complaining is like a rocking chair. It requires a lot of effort, but it doesn't get you anywhere. I have found that when I don't complain, I am more likely to take action. If I cannot complain about my headache, I take some Tylenol. If I won't get to complain about my family members gushing over other people's money, I leave the room when they do so.

Complaining serves a definite purpose. It allows people to vent their feelings of frustration, giving them a false sense of resolution. It is rather effective. However, this false sense of resolution impedes progress. So, I encourage all of you to try giving up complaining, even if only for a day. Who knows? You might find you get more done.